The Birthful Podcast: Ep. #77 – Waterbirth, with Barbara Harper
What are there benefits to giving birth in water? Are there any risks? What about if you are considering a VBAC? Why has there been so much controversy around waterbirth, and what does the evidence say? Barbara Harper tells us more.
What we talked about:
- The many transitions of waterbirth since 1987
- Benefits of waterbirth, for both mom and babies
- Are there any risks?
- Why newborns don’t breathe in while underwater
- Does the water temperature matter?
- What should moms be aware of when having a waterbirth
- Not just for birth: the benefits of prenatal aqua-yoga
- Water as the best non-medicated comfort measure
- Waterbirths and VBACS
- How to get waterbirths into your hospital